Martial Artists

For chat about the rules of the game.

Martial Artists

Postby rollinkunz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Been trying to think of a way to put useful unarmed fighters into the game without breaking/unbalancing it.
One of the main problems is the lower damage unarmed fighters do- it's very difficult to pierce armor.
Now, obviously it would be unbalancing to just straight-up increase the damage for all unarmed attacks (all punches !> all weapons - they are generally worse, in fact).
So I was thinking of a way in which a character that wanted to focus on unarmed attacks could be given some sort of armor-piercing ability.

The easiest way might be a series of "threshold perks" - bonuses that are unlocked once characters have certain die-values in their skills.
The first threshold should probably be at the very top of what a beginning character can take in a die-value for their skill, so that a character can decide to specialize in certain things to form up their character at the beginning, but so no character can just immediately grab a bunch of perks and be good at everything.

As an example, perhaps having a d8 in your unarmed skill would allow your character's attacks to ignore a medium-sized chunk of armor, a d10 would allow you to ignore a large-sized chunk of armor, and a d12 would allow you to ignore armor entirely. This would allow unarmed "martial artists" to remain effective in their element - close combat - while still retaining the disadvantages that keep them balanced (lack of giant damage, difficult to block others' attacks).
It is also easily flavorful: As a martial artist becomes better at pugilism, they learn to intuitively look for the chinks in their opponent's armor with every strike.

Another idea, useful for unarmed fighters: acrobatics threshold perks!
How about: each level of threshold (d8, d10, d12) subtracts a point of time from the amount a dodge action takes? Once the acrobat becomes a master, dodging is actually worked into his attacking and moving, just as with a real-life martial artist!

Uhh, gotta go, but let me know whatcha think!
rollinkunz

Re: Martial Artists

Postby nakedhobo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:32 pm

I like the overall idea of adding some kind of rules for martial arts and the like. I guess we can playtest some of your ideas and see how they work when put into a game setting. To a degree, I don't think I would ever completely disregard armor when it comes to unarmed combat. Yeah, you're great at hand to hand, but punching a guy in full plate still ain't gonna be a walk in the park.

I had one playtest session last year where a guy played an Anuir specialized in Unarmed and Earth Magic. A little Iron Fist spell later and that guy was swinging for 1d6+1d8+3 (the +3 was his ST bonus). That quickly laid down the pain on some overzealous thugs.
nakedhobo
Site Admin

Postby rollinkunz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Sweet!

I totally agree that the perks should not just be limited to the martial-artist friendly disciplines, as well- there just needs to be a big list of ideas for each of the skills and the unlockable perks at various mastery levels.

Oh wait, there is! It's over there.

-Rollin
rollinkunz

Postby Domono111 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 pm

I know it's not "Technically" unarmed, but why not, add a series of Brass knuckles,
or gauntlet type weapons that can cause some sort of Armor Piercing, i've already added
armor piercing rifle cartridges to my games as well as stabbing attacks at a minus (Whatever-
I feel like) roll detriment.
Domono111

Postby nakedhobo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 pm

Normally when I run games, things like gauntlets or brass knuckles fall under the unarmed aspect, they just add extra damage. I will take a look at running it more as a separate skill set.
nakedhobo
Site Admin

Return to Mistrunner Rules